Saturday 3 October 2009

Vintage buttons, fab needle gauge and other random tat

Last weekend I visited a little town in Devon called Topsham, which happens to be home to a 3-story antiques warehouse.... (or more accurately, 3 floors of random vintage household tat of the sort that makes my eyes light up!)

About 20 seconds after entry, I zoned in on a little corner with boxes of old buttons and vintage knitting needles... hoorah! (My weary companions made a resigned exit at this point and decided to leave me to it.)

So after a good rummage, I came out with the following little stash enhancers...

Buttons of various sizes...





Knitting Needles (several sets of long DPNs plus two straights)...





Next up are some ceramic buttons that I bought at the V&A last week while out browsing with notknottylottie. Not sure yet what I will do with them...





And finally, I want to pass on a great tip that I read on this blog... (http://techknitting.blogspot.com/). Last week, I read a fab little article that recommended a visit to your local DIY store to find a nifty and hard-wearing needle gauge....

Behold - the drill gauge!

I bought mine from someone called 'handyman' on ebay, and it arrived the next day. Result!















1 comment:

  1. Hi Susie,
    I've just discovered your lovely blog (via the link on the imake blog). You are a VERY talented girl!!! THIS particular post got me very excited, as my in-laws live down the road from Topsham (in Exmouth)- and I know the big warehouse building you're talking about! I've been in there dozens of times, but have never thought to look for crafty bits and pieces. Well, we're going to Devon in a few weeks - and I'll certainly be checking out the buttons and other goodies THIS time! Thanks for the super tip!!! :-)
    Carly x

    ReplyDelete