Thursday 19 May 2011

knitted menagerie - Part 1

Hello, knitty friends.  I thought I might pop in and mention that the 'craft project' in my belly is due to complete in 3 weeks' time (eek!)  
Since I stopped work I've been hideously busy trying to prepare the house - and myself - for a new baby boy.  But I have managed to find a few hours here and there to make the first few pieces for a knitted menagerie that I plan to dangle over baby’s cot as a mobile.  


Each animal is around 5-6” tall, including the legs.  The patterns are more or less adapted from a book of twenty knitted egg cosies by Susie Johns, which I came across in John Lewis.  The heads are knitted as per the patterns but the lower bodies and legs have been improvised and stuffed.

I have to confess I have a special soft spot for the owl... 
I made the feet using experimental icord and am quite pleased with them.  I'm now thinking of making an owl hat for the poor boy too...  (there shall be no escape for babies!)
The frog is also quite a cute pattern...  the stripey top is my addition, and again, his legs are simply made from icord.

For the rabbit, I again added a stripey t-shirt and adapted the legs from the arm instructions.  You can't see it here, but I also added a pop-pom bunny tail. 

I've yet to decide on the animals that will make up the rest of the menagerie... but I suspect it might include a pig and a bear - and maybe an octopus.

I've mainly used cotton DK yarns from Sirdar's Simply Recycled range and  Freedom Sincere Organic. (But I've also bolstered with a bit of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino here and there where I had a suitable colour available).
Full project details are on Ravelry here


3 comments:

  1. So cute! There's just something about that Owl, I can see why he's your favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tink! (Perhaps it's the slightly mad, misaligned eyes that do it) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the frog! But the owl is cuteness too ;)

    ReplyDelete