Monday 1 June 2009

The Devil Makes work for Pointy Sticks

The up side of my internetless weekend is that I was forced to find some other futile, life-wasting activity to stop my cold turkey hands from shaking. So while the weather did its worst outside, I wrapped up, watched back-to-back movies and finished off a couple of UFOs while sorting through my obscene yarn stash...

Number one - a lace concoction
www.ravelry.com/projects/flockhartsl/branching-out


This was meant to be a gift for my mum on Mothers Day 2007, but sadly she died before I finished it and it has been hidden away unfinished ever since. This weekend I decided to finish it once and for all, and I'm really rather pleased with it. It's made from my beloved Rowan Kidsilk Haze and is as light as a feather, yet strangely warm. In real life the colour is a cooler purple (the artificial light in these pics has turned it cerise)


























Number two - a frilly concoction





This turned out to be a bit more "froufrou" than I was expecting... but it was a quick little knit made from 100% cashmere gorgeousness. I'm talking seriously soft. Faces were made to be buried in this. I do declare everyone should knit with cashmere!

What's Next?

In rebellion against such ludicrously girly fripperousness, I now have something a lil more sober and grown up on the needles, but promising nonetheless to be totally and unadulteratedly gorgeous. It is a blatant copy of what this stylish, tweedy chap from Brooklyn made: brooklyntweed.blogspot.com/2007/04/noro-scarf.html (Noro Silk Garden... I fear it is about to become the new yarny addiction of my life).

Recent movies watched while knitting:

  • How to Marry a Millionaire (enjoyable vintage fun)
  • Once Upon a Time in America (4 hours of thoroughly engaging piffle)
  • The Cat's Meow (watchable enough, but didn't rock my world)
  • The Aviator (ok, if you like that sort of thing... Matt and Leo - separated at birth? It's no wonder one of them had to be beardy in The Departed)
  • Lucky Number Slevin (not as dreadful as I was expecting)
  • No Country for Old Men (brilliant, tense, edge-of-seat stuff with a truly menacing baddie.)

Apparently this evening has a bottle of Moet with my name on it. Not to mention being fed - how nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment